With the myriad of acne products on the market today, it is hard to tell which products to purchase. Proactiv, one of the top skincare lines, uses a high concentration of benzoyl peroxide to zap zits. It works by drying up oil and killing bacteria in pores. Other brands also use benzoyl peroxide though. The products below contain benzoyl peroxide and can all be purchased for under $10 at a local drug store.
Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Cleansers and Astringents
Cleansing the skin is essential to curing acne. The following products not only clean skin, but also distribute benzoyl peroxide to skin to help clear up blemishes.
- Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser and Mask:This product is unique in the fact that it can be used as a cleanser or an acne treatment mask. The product contains 3.5% benzoyl peroxide. The cleanser should be massaged into wet skin and then rinsed off with water. To create a mask, users can apply a thin layer of the product to the face and leave it on for up to five minutes. The mask will work to dry up oily skin and pull impurities from pores.
- Oxy Acne Treatment Maximum Strength: This product is a daily cleanser that contains 10% benzoyl peroxide. The cleanser helps cure acne on blemished skin by delivering high doses of medication that eliminate bacteria, shrink pores and dry oil.
- Stridex Benzoyl Peroxide Power Pads: Stridex pads are intended for use after cleansing skin. The astringent in the pads is applied by gently wiping the surface of the face with one of the pads. The astringent contained in the pads helps to eliminate oil and deliver benzoyl peroxide to the skin.
Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Spot Treatments
Stubborn blemishes often require more than cleanser to heal. Spot treatments can be placed directly on the problem areas to deliver large doses of acne medicine that kill bacteria and dry oily skin.
- Clearisil Vanishing Cream: This spot treatment delivers a powerful 10% benzoyl peroxide solution directly to zits. The cream can be applied by hand to pimples. The product disappears when massaged into the problem areas. It can be used up to three times a day until the pimples have been eradicated.
- Neutrogena On-The-Spot:Much like the Clearisil brand, this spot treatment is applied directly to pimples to cure acne. This treatment uses less medication, with only 2.5% benzoyl peroxide. Because of this, the solution might be better for those with sensitive skin.
Find the Best Remedy for Acne
Inexpensive acne products such as cleansers, astringents, masks and spot treatments can be effective in curing acne. By trying different products, acne sufferers can find the best solutions for their skin may not be the most expensive.